Shetland

Shetland

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

April 19: the Sunday Tea




It is a summer tradition for the people of Shetland to serve up delicious home-baked Sunday afternoon teas in the community halls scattered around the islands.

 

After listening to a BBC program about the tradition of Shetland Sunday Teas, I was hoping to attend one in person so when Anne and Mike offered an outing to Whalsay for a Sunday tea, I could barely contain myself. The Teas at that particular location are renowned (delicious sweets, home made baked goods, traditional Shetland fare, sandwiches, bottomless cups of tea..) and was highlighted in a BBC documentary. ‘Hosted by generous volunteers and expert bakers they bring together communities, with people travelling from near and far to sample the spread.’ http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00mf27d

A drive on a scenic sunlit day brought us to the car ferry (actually Mike did-thank you Mike!) and a half hour on the ferry brought us into Whalsay – named the ‘bonnie isle’ by visiting 19th-century Scots fishermen. Lying east of the Shetland mainland, the island was sculpted by ice during the last glaciation and has the appearance of a whale from the sea, hence its Old Norse name, Whale Island (Hvalsey or Hvals-øy), the humpback being the Ward o’ Clett (390ft). The island population is about 1,000 and the close-knit community has a distinctive and unique dialect sound. 
 

   
Upon arrival I was not disappointed as I scanned the table laden with a colourful smorgasbord of gastronomic delights. There was also a raffle of lovely items (Anne donated some of her beautiful portraits) and the room soon filled with people of all ages
We sat next to a lovely couple and they discussed the pros and cons of ‘island living’. Looking around the room it was obvious that the Whalsay community was very close knit and that they look after each other-a rare find in my neck of the woods. The woman beside me said that everyone leaves their house keys IN the door when they are going to be OUT so people know they are NOT at home…..something absolutely unheard of on my home turf!!






Now as I sit here after a day in the studio, spent from painting and eating  oatcakes, I reflect on so many moments. Moments of breathing in sea air, listening to laughing gulls and lapping waves over a wonderful radio station playing all Shetland music. Moments in the back seat of Anne and Mikes’ car gasping in awe at the land and sea out the car window. I want to spin every single moment and weave them into my being. I am afraid I will lose them once back home. I feel like Shetland is my home-Dorothy was wrong-there is a place like home.




No comments:

Post a Comment